About School of Public Health
“Health Care matters to some of us some of the time but public health is vital to all of us all the time”.
– (C. Everett Koop, Association of Schools of Public Health, 2008)
What is Public health?
- Public Health is defined as “the art and science of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health through the organized efforts of Society” (Acheson E.D, 1988).
- While a doctor(practicing clinical medicine) treats individuals after they fall sick or injured, a public health practitioner protects and prevent people from getting sick or injured,
- It promotes and protects the health of population as a whole (locally, nationally and globally).
- Its activities aim to provide conditions in which people can be healthy and focus is on entire population
- Public health saves lives, saves money by preventing disease and promoting health
- Public Health is multi disciplinary. It draws its strength from multiple disciplines such as epidemiology and biostatistics, environmental health, social and behavioural sciences, occupational safety and health, health economics, health policy, health service administration, program management etc.
KIIT has collaboration with several internationally renowned Institutions and Universities thus providing KSPH a good platform not only to strengthen existing collaboration but also to explore the new avenues for effective Local, National & International collaborations.
Our vision is to strengthen India’s public health systems through institutional approach and provide in-depth knowledge and skills in various domains of public health to achieve better health outcomes for all.
- Developing competent public health workforce and setting standards in various domains of public health.
- Inculcating interventional approaches to public health research and technology.
- Strengthening knowledge based application and evidence informed public health practice and policy through collaboration at local, national and international level.
Commitments to excellence following ethics, addressing equity and integrity, innovating, respecting human dignity, cultural and gender sensitivity and special, attention to vulnerable and deprived people are our core values.