News & Events of 2015
Ongoing Research Project:
- “Research Priority Setting in Prevention and Control of Zoonoses” is continuing.
Symposium Series – I:
A National symposium on “Future of Public Health in India” was organized by KIIT School of Public Health on 14th and 15th of December, 2015 for the current and future public health professionals and leaders. There was enthusiastic response with 152 participants and Guest Speakers in attendance from Various Schools of Public Health, Medical Colleges, NGOs, International agencies, Government of Odisha officials, NHSRC and PHFI. The Dissemination potential was very high. A set of recommendations have been listed for advancement of Public Health in the context of MDG to SDGs, Health systems, Control of Communicable and chronic non-communicable Diseases, RMNCH+A, Public Health Education and competency , Public Health Cadre and scope of employment etc. for larger dissemination and for advocacy
- Training Programme: A TOT programme on “Screening for Syphilis during Pregnancy” was organized by KSPH in collaboration with OSACS, Govt. of Odisha on 22nd December, 2015 for the Medical Officers of various districts of Odisha.
- A meeting with Ms. Yumi Bae, Chief of UNICEF, Odisha Field Office was held on 21st December, 2015 to explore the possible collaboration.
- Prof. Travis C. Porco, Department of Epidemiology and Bio-statistics, University of California, San Francisco, USA and an expert in Disease modeling and forecasting has accepted the Adjunct Professorship at the KIIT School of Public Health
- Dr. Pratap Jena, MBBS, MPH is appointed as Adjunct Assistant Professor at the KIIT School of Public Health, Bhubaneswar.
- A series of training programs for Medical Officers, AYUSH Doctors, Nurses and others are scheduled for January, 2016 onwards in collaboration with NHM, Govt. of Odisha
- KIIT School of Public Health (KSPH) will be a partner along with KIIT School of Rural Management (KSRM) for the implementation of UNICEF WASH Project in 3 priority districts of Odisha.
- Preparations are in full swing to launch Master of Public Health (MPH) and PhD courses at KIIT School of Public Health from July, 2016.
- Field work under Perimilk project (1st part) is completed. Second part of this project titled “Research priorities settings in prevention and control of Zoonoses” will begin soon.
- Prof. Travis C Porco, Department of Epidemiology and Bio-statistics, University of California, San Francisco, USA and Francis I. Proctor Foundation for Research in Ophthalmology UCSF visited KIIT School of Public Health, KIIT from 25 – 27 November, 2015 to explore the possibilities further expanding the areas of collaboration in Infectious disease modeling and forecasting.
- Dr. K. R. Antony. Former Health Officer UNICEF and Director, SIHFW, Chhattisgarh State visited KSPH from 15 – 21, November, 2015 and Dr. Nayanjeet Chaudhury, MD, MPH, CPT (ACSM), Medtronic Philanthropy Associate, Technical Adviser India
Public Health Institute, Oakland CA, USA from 28 November to 3rd December, 2015 in connection with curriculum development for Master of Public Health (MPH) Degree course (2 years) scheduled to commence from July, 2016.
- Dr. Susant Kumar Swain, Dy. Director and Dr. Amitav Dash, State Epidemiologist, OSACS, Government of Odisha visited KSPH to explore the possibility of having collaboration in short term training programs.
Guest Lecture Series – I :
- KSPH in collaboration with KIMS organized a Guest Lecture on “Infectious Disease modeling and forecasting” delivered by Prof. Travis C. Porco from UCSF, USA at Lecture Hall-4, KIMS on 27th November 2015. About 100 participants from KSPH, KIMS, KIDS, SUM Hospital and other institutions took part.
- Perimilk is being implemented and sample collection is in progress.
- Two of our concept note/ pre-proposal on:
- Still birth project
- A Sustainable Interventional Approach At The Community & House Hold Level Through Advance Iec / Bcc Method To Increase The Quality Of Care In Pregnancy And Childbirth have been accepted by Indian Council of Medical Research for submission full proposal.
- Dr. Alison P. Galvani, PhD, Director, Burnett and Stender Families Professor of Epidemiology, Center for Infectious Diseases Modeling and Analysis, Yale School of Public Health, PO Box 208034 New Haven CT 06520-8034 has accepted the Adjunct Professorship at KIIT School of Public Health, KIIT.
- “Spatial heterogeneity in projected leprosy trends in India” has now been published in the international journal “Parasites & Vectors 2015, 8:542, (impact factors 3.43) Published on 22nd October 2015.
- Dr. Sushma Acquilla, Project Director Lead, Special Interest Group India and related countries, Faculty of Public Health of the Royal College of Physicians, UK visited KSPH on 29th and 31st October to explore the possibility of Partnership.
- KIIT School of Public Health and KIIT School of Biotechnology are implementing a “PERIMILK” Project in collaboration with Public Health Foundation of India, New Delhi.
KIIT School of Public Health organized two days of training programmes on:
- “PERIMILK” Project on 10th and 11th of September, 2015 in collaboration with Public Health Foundation of India, New Delhi.
- “Research Prioritization of Zoonotic Diseases” on 22nd and 23rd of September, 2015 in collaboration with Public Health Foundation of India, New Delhi.
- Mathematical Modeling and analysis of Leprosy with Dr. Travis C Porco, Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, FRANCIS I. PROCTOR FOUNDATION FOR RESEARCH IN OPTHALMOLOGY, UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SAN FRANCISCO, USA.
- Mathematical Modeling and analysis of Leprosy and other infectious diseases along with student and faculty exchange programme with Dr. Alison Galvani, Director, CENTER FOR INFECTIOUS DISEASE MODELING AND ANALYSIS, Yale School of Public Health, YALE UNIVERSITY, USA.
Dr. S. K. Satpathy, Director, KIIT School of Public Health, on invitation, participated in:
- The 2nd Asia - Pacific Influenza Summit held at Hanoi, Vietnam, 10th & 11th June, 2015
- "Forum 2015 -the Global Forum on Research and Innovation for Health Summit" held at Manila, Philippines from 22nd to 27th August, 2015. He also participated in the Pre-forum event of this summit titled "New Leaders for Health" from 22nd to 24th August, 2015.